I am off for a few days of sunshine and shopping with my dear sister. What better way to celebrate clocking up one year of lovely marriage by skipping the country without your husband?
My new jeans now in danger of strangling me because I ate like a pork all Anniversary Weekend long!
- It all started on Friday lunchtime when I accompanied one of my work pals to the Salad Bar, where salad = drowned in mayo.
- And then Friday night there was the most fan-freakin-tastic Anniversary Dinner in Edinburgh, gorgeous fresh Italian food. Including gorgeous olives, bread, cheese, wine and let’s not forget the creamy tiramisu.
- And after that was a night a posh hotel, my surprise gift to the Scottish Companion. He thought we had to leg it home on the last train! (aka The Rocket Express, always full of drunks), but instead I bundled him into a taxi. "Where are you taking me?" he protests, "What’s going on?!". It was classic!) Anyway, that ended with a lovely hotel buffet breakfast on Saturday morning! There was a freaking huge fresh loaf of brioche with a KNIFE right beside, so of course I had to saw into the damn thing and a cut rather thick slice. Okay, two slices.
- And after that, Saturday lunch with a couple of mates.
- And after that, a brief respite for the stomach and a glorious two-hour workout on Sunday morning (kickboxing and leg drills followed by upper body weights)
- BUT THEN, off to the in-laws for Sunday dinner. We had champagne! And salad and cheese and fruit and ice cream. And then lemon drizzle cake and after-dinner mints. I thought it was going to be an innocent wee dinner but it was bigger than Christmas!
It’s funny how you can go weeks and weeks of smooth sailing with no major Social Events, then along come seventeen at once. Yet I enjoyed it all, and haven’t slackened with my exercise so I know I’ll bounce back.
That said, I’m now away for five nights. Bloody hell! Temptation! Pray for me, people. But I have my exercise gear and some almonds in my handbag and will keep repeating my mantra, CHOCOLATE IS NOT A MEAL.
Take care groovers. I’ll be back on Monday!