In the last podcast I mentioned I'd been emulating George Costanza and doing The Opposite. In one of my favourite Seinfeld episodes George decided his instincts were crap and decided to say and do the opposite of what he would usually do. It has been a sometimes fun sometimes awful experiment!
One thing I tried was a life coaching session. Life coaching is something I was always cynical and dismissive about but it proved mind-bogglingly helpful. I've been dealing with Deep Stuff these past couple of months so a more practical session felt great.
I was given a wee bit of homework to, "do something that I've wanted to do for a long time but never made the time to do". Of course I had a handy list of full of such things, and decided on lucky 13… Make A Soufflé.
Yeah baby! This would be ultimate metaphor… the rising soufflé! The edible phoenix rising from the ashes!
I settled on this Easy Chocolate Soufflé, as easy and chocolate are two of my favourite words. It was also less OTT than most recipes at 222 calories per serve. I thought that sounded reasonable for a sweet treat and should prevent too many people sending cranky emails that I was ruining their life with my chocolate talk.
So I separated the eggs and made the base then whisked the whites like a mofo. It was so bloody simple and enjoyable and as always with these little things you put off, I thought… Why did I pissfart around for so long?
Now this is what it was supposed to look like:
(image used with permission)
And here's what mine looked like:
A flat and lifeless FLOP. Two little farts in two little dishes! Let's not go down the metaphor road with these specimens.
Och well. At least they were tasty and I enjoyed the process. I'll attempt again in the future but there is no "OMG must analyse why I FAILED and spend three weeks researching perfect souffle techniques" sense of urgency.
Hmm… I have no deep and meaningful end to this entry for you as it's two weeks since I started writing it and the train of thought has chuffed off into the distance. Basically I'm having fun doing The Opposite and mucking along with life. Any soufflé cooks out there? Any favourite soufflé recipes?
EASY CHOCOLATE SOUFFLÉ
100g/3.5 oz good quality dark chocolate
50g/1.75 oz golden caster sugar
4 egg whites
2 egg yolks
10g/0.3 oz butter
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C (300°F)
- Rub the inside of four ramekins with butter. Set aside.
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of heating water. This will allow chocolate to melt without burning; stir it to help the process along.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl. Start off slowly, speeding up once the eggs start to thicken. Now slowly pour in the sugar while continuing to whisk. Stop once the eggs form a glossy, thick mix which forms fairly stiff peaks.
- By this time your chocolate should be melted. Take off the heat and mix in the egg yolks, then stir in one spoon of your egg white mix.
- Add the chocolate mix into the remaining egg whites. Slowly fold until combined, being careful not to knock out too much air.
- Spoon into the ramekins and smooth the edges with your thumb (this helps them rise evenly).
- Put the ramekins in the oven for 25 minutes. Don’t open while they’re cooking or they’ll collapse.
Per souffle: 222.8 calories. Click here to see the nutrition facts.