At Up & Running Julia and I are getting pysched for this Sunday 1 May, when we open registrations for the Summer 5K Beginners Course. The course starts on Monday 13 June and I am so freaking excited. Who will sign up? What corner of the world will they hail from? Will they charm my pants off as the Spring Up & Runners have done? I can't wait to meet 'em!
Want to join us? Fancy making this your Summer of Running? Or your Winter, if you're from the Southern Hemisphere. I'm giving away one free place on the course. All you have to do is leave a comment on this blog post and tell me, What's your favourite summer food? Yes, it's always about the food around here!
- Entries close 5PM UK time this Sunday 1 May
- The prize is a place on the Summer 2011 5K Course, which starts on 13 June.
- The winner can give the prize to a friend, so you can enter if you know someone who you think would dig it!
- Winner can be from anywhere in the world. Remember the Course is for women only.
Here's what the current Up & Runners are saying about Up & Running:
The one thing that keeps making me teary with regards to this running is how much I am capable of. I have never pushed so hard for something that is just for me. I suppose I've thought it seemed selfish to spend this much time just on myself, but I need this. I need to remember that I am worth the effort and to stop being scared of failing. I can do far more than I thought I could. So I CAN skip in the park and I CAN go for 2k. And I can do it just for me. And I can go and cry a few tears for the almost 30 years I've wasted thinking I can't.
I, too, am a Couch to 5K refugee. I just couldn't make it work for me and it left me more discouraged. I'm sure it was due to the lack of community. Everyone here makes me feel like part of a team and keeps me accountable because I have to keep track of everything and report back. The C25K program really doesn't offer that accountability that we get here. And the friendship. It's really starting to feel like we are becoming long-distance friends, and who doesn't want to run with friends?
I don't think I could say (yet) that I love the act of running. What I am really, really loving though is the sense of my body being alive. I love all my aches and pains! I love finding out how I can make it move.
Halfway to 5k! I'm so proud of myself for making it to mid-program without missing a workout! I've ordered my "Outrunning the Zombies" t-shirt as a reward. For the first time in my life, I'm able to run a mile without stopping. This is something I never thought I would be able to do, and it gives me the most incredible sense of accomplishment.
Over the past few years, running, once a source of joy in my life, has morphed into a symbol of failure for me, both consciously and subconsciously. But as I’ve begun to see major progress with the Up & Running online program, I’m starting to view myself as someone who sets realistic goals and then achieves them through repeated and consistent effort.
Here's the big list of what you get with the 5K Course:
- Eight weeks of training plans created by expert running coach Julia Jones, including downloadable workout plans.
- Up & Running Gear Guide packed with essential information on running shoes and gear to help you get organised.
- Bonus “Warm-Up Week” before the workouts begin to get your mind fired up for your running adventure.
- Personal support throughout the course via private, password-protected forums – we’ll answer all your questions!
- Easy-to-follow tutorials on our private course blog, including:
– a weekly theme, such as staying motivated and nourishing your mind and body
– motivating videos – weekly exercise demonstrations, plus coaching tips and insights from Julia
– inspirational stories from women runners around the world
- Weekly email newsletter to keep you energised and on track.
Winner will be announced on Sunday evening UK time. Go for gold, baby!