shauna now and then
The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl is the “hilarious and heartwarming story of a real life superhero who got happy from the outside in”. Find out how Shauna Reid (that’s me!) loses half her body weight, finds adventure and romance and discovers there is far more to life than fretting about the size of your pants.Inspiring, uplifting and entertaining, The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl has even caused readers to blow bubbles of snot from laughter! It’s also been named No. 1 on Marie Claire magazine’s list of the Top Ten Diet Books.
Why read the book when the blog is free?
While the blog lurches from random topic to topic, The Book is bigger and better. It reads like a novel – action-packed, expanded and organised. It’s raw and honest with all the gaping holes of the story filled in where I’d screwed up and ran away from my blog for months on end.
Is it a memoir? Is it a diet book? Is it chick lit?
It’s a little bit of all three. But Dietgirl is different from the usual diet book. There’s nobody telling you what to do – instead I tell you how I did it, with warts-and-all honesty and humour about the ups and downs of busting the lard and trying to find peace with all my lumpy bits.
Here’s the synopsis from the back of the book:
“At just twenty-three years old, Shauna Reid weighed 351 pounds. Spurred into action by the sight of her enormous white knickers billowing on the clothesline, she created the hugely successful blog “The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl.” Hiding behind her Lycra-clad, roly-poly alter-ego, her transformation from couch potato to svelte goddess began.
Today, eight thousand miles, seven years, and 175 pounds later, the gloriously gorgeous Shauna is literally half the woman she used to be. Hysterically funny and heart-wrenchingly honest, The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl includes travel tales from Australia to Paris to Red Square, plus romance when she meets the man of her dreams in a Scottish pub. This is the uplifting true story of a young woman who defeated her demons and conquered her cravings to become a real-life superhero to inspire us all.”
Click here to browse inside The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl and read the first two chapters on the HarperCollins website.
- “A buoyant, funny and immensely likable romp – for readers of all sizes.”
– People magazine, 4 star review
- “Bookstores are fat with diet tales, but Reid’s stands out. She’s an entertaining, endearing writer — funny, humble, honest, wise, and best of all, compassionate.”
– Minneapolis Star Tribune
- “This isn’t a How-To slimming book, but it will help anyone to unleash their own inner superhero. She gives us a portrait of a person who turned wishing and dreaming into doing and having.”
– Amazon.co.uk review by Marla
- “Your book helped me to laugh about something that my soul was so deeply ashamed of. One smile, and I saw the light. One giggle, and I gained my wings.”
– Kendall Miller
- “The book isn’t just a cut-and-paste of her online posts, it contains so much more. I was reduced to tears several times, and chuckled out loud many times too. (I actually snorted and blew a snot bubble out my nose at one point)
– Kek’s BFL Thing
Dietgirl has been featured in ELLE, People, the Mail on Sunday, Marie Claire, the Daily Express, the Irish Independent, Who Weekly and Australian OK! Magazine just to name a few.
Die unglaublichen Abenteuer von Diät-Girl
Published by Droemer Knaur
DIETGIRL – Shaunas utrolige forvandling
Published by Vega Forlag
Dieettitytön huimat seikkailut
Published by Otava